At Springfield, we aim to deliver a high quality curriculum that will engage, inspire and challenge. Our children learn how to think critically developing a deeper understanding of art and design. They recognise how it can reflect our history, and contribute to the culture and creativity of the world through studying a range of significant artists and craftspeople. Through our curriculum, we aim to embed key skills in drawing, painting and sculptural skills, along with other art and design techniques whilst fostering children’s individual interests, thoughts and ideas. We want children to develop curiosity and fascination about the world around them enabling children to express themselves in a variety of ways and through exploring different media that are not restricted by their understanding of words and numbers.
We aim to offer and develop opportunities for children to:
- Foster an understanding and enjoyment of art and design.
- Develop and encourage creativity and imagination through experimenting what a range of different tools and materials.
- To use quality art materials.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works, using the language of art, craft and design.
- To develop use of a range of tools, media and processes.
- Learn about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Develop their ability to observe, investigate, respond to and record the world around them including the use of sketchbooks allowing them to review and revisit their artwork.